Have you ever asked yourself
- “How can I cook dinner at home when I work long hours?”
- “How can I spend less money on all my food and eating out?”
- “How can I eat healthy meals at home when I don’t know how to cook?”
- “How can I make something different? I’m tired of always cooking the same meals.”
Learning how to cook in bulk with my in-home cooking classes in Toronto will answer any and all of those questions for you, and more!
Benefits of In-Home Cooking Instruction
- Save money: cut your food budget by 50% or more by cooking at home and eating out less.
- Healthier food: no chemicals, additives or any ingredients that don’t work for your wellness.
- More control: You’ll always know what’s in the food you’re eating, because you made it.
- Less Stress: Having meals prepared for when you get home from work, and to take with you during the day, makes life easier. No more coming home from work, scrounging for bad food choices. Reheat and eat something delicious you already have on hand!
Ready to Eat = Better Food Choices
When we’re over-hungry we often make poor food choices. After a long day at work the last thing you want to do is cook — especially if you have blood sugar issues, kids and/or a partner to feed.
Learning how to cook healthy meals in bulk one to two times with my cooking classes per week solves this problem.
Instead of defrosting a frozen ‘TV dinner’ that’s filled with chemicals and salt (and tastes like cardboard), or picking up fast food at a drive-through window on the way home, you’ll be able to come home, stress-free, to relax and enjoy a home-cooked meal.
Our First Meeting
In the initial consultation at your home we’ll discuss your goals and life-work balance in order to design your upcoming cooking session.
Perhaps you currently work long hours, have a newborn or kids at home, and, as a result, spend little time in the kitchen. You want to have healthier meals, readily available, that cater to your food preferences. We will select a few recipes or styles of cooking that suit your needs.
I’ll assess your kitchen set-up to determine if you need any additional kitchenware (knives, utensils, pots and pans, storage containers, etc.), and to see what food supplies you have in your fridge and cupboards to teach you how to be prepared for healthy bulk cooking.
After the consultation we will follow up by email to confirm the meal plan, grocery list, and decide upon needed supplies.
The Bulk Cooking Session
In working together in the kitchen we’ll practice cooking techniques (like chopping and steaming vegetables), how to organize ingredients in order to them prepare more quickly, and how to effectively use the oven.
My clients are consistently amazed at how easy cooking in bulk actually turns out to be. You’ll be glad you didn’t wait any longer to get started! My goal is to offer a relaxed, fun, and educational approach to cooking. You don’t need to know it all, or to be able to cook like a trained chef — you only need to know the basics to succeed.
Another advantage of my cooking instruction is learning how to make extra side dishes with leftover ingredients, which might otherwise go bad in your fridge or be thrown away.
What's Covered in the Cooking Session?
- Efficient grocery shopping — making your list, what to buy and why;
- Stocking your kitchen cupboards, fridge and freezer to prepare and cook 5-7 days worth of food;
- Making meals ‘on the fly from’ the food available in your kitchen;
- Knife skills — how to cut safely and easily;
- Cooking the basics — vegetables, starchy carbohydrates (e.g. rice, quinoa) and meats (testing for doneness and not over-cooking);
- Spices and flavourings to make your meals delicious;
- Food presentation — make your dinners look amazing, and;
- How you can save hundreds of dollars in a month by cooking from scratch at home.
Darren showed us how easy bulk cooking actually is. He gave us tips on cooking like chopping and steaming vegetables, how to organize all the ingredients to do things faster, and how to use the oven (and our time) more efficiently.
I liked how he catered the cooking session to our current goals and needs (long working hours, a newborn at home, little time spent in the kitchen). He helped us choose a few recipes and helped us cater them to our food preferences and our goal of eating healthier meals.
The week after our cooking session with Darren was so different. It was so enjoyable not to have to worry about what we were going to prepare for dinner every day. Having our food ready in minutes reduced at least one stress during the week. ~ Andrea Perez Cosio [Click here to read the complete testimonial]
Training Background & Philosophy
- Chef Training Certificate, George Brown College, 1987
- 25+ years experience in whole food and bulk meal preparation
- Certified Precision Nutrition Level 2 Coach & Certified Personal Trainer
- Author of Cook a Week of Meals in 4 Hours.
For over 25 years I’ve cooked simply, from scratch, and in bulk. It’s the #1 reason my clients take my cooking classes: they want the benefits of a homemade meal any night of the week, without all the fuss after a busy day, and instead of relying on processed, packaged, or ‘diet’ foods, which can eventually make you sick or cause unwanted body fat.
Ready To Get Cooking?
I create a customized plan for each client but this gives you a sense of what my packages look like. The Healthy Bulk Cooking Package is a full day of work spread out over a 2-3 sessions. Note that this service is only available in the greater downtown Toronto area.
Healthy Grocery Shopping Excursion
- Discover how to navigate the grocery store to buy the healthiest products.
- Learn how to select fresh fruits and vegetables and how to choose quality, fresh meats and fish.
- Come prepared with you grocery list and we’ll have fun helping you check out with a grocery cart stocked with both healthy and satisfying foods!
In-Home Cooking Instruction
- Initial Consultation: Up to 2 hours on-site in your kitchen; ktichen tools and meal preferences assessment, pre-planning.
- Meal Plan & Follow-up: Finalize your meal plan in advance of the cooking session, which you can reuse and build upon to replicate in the future; email follow-up to finalize your grocery list.
- In-Home Cooking Session: Approx. 4 hours of professional cooking instruction tailored to fit your needs.
Healthy Bulk Cooking Package
- Package includes the “In-Home Cooking Instruction” and
- the “Health Grocery Shopping Excursion” packages.
Note: Cost of groceries and supplies extra.
Eat healthy ~ Move often ~ Be well