Kale smoothie recipes are all the rage. It seems that everyone who’s fit, health-conscious, or a nutrition expert is telling you to eat this leafy green vegetable. Should we expect a new reality TV show, “Kale Gone Wild!”?
All silliness aside, kale is a ‘super-health’ food and you should add it to your diet on a regular basis. Why? Read this article by Drew Ramsey, M.D. about how kale is a super phytonutrient vegetable for your brain.
Let’s get to the yummy stuff. My kale protein smoothie is a power-house of anti-oxidants and health-boosting nutrients, but most importantly it’s delicious. The recipe is a healthy balance of vegetables, fruit, fibre, ginger for digestion, heart-healthy fats, probiotics, and clean protein.
My preferred protein blend is Precision All Natural Whey Isolate; unflavoured and unsweetened. The whey is free from hormones used to feed cattle, as well as free of artificial flavours, sweeteners, colours and preservatives.
Options & Substitutions
- Replace the mango with peaches, nectarines, or a banana
- Omit the peanut butter and replace with any other nut butter or ¼ cup of nuts
- Replace the water with plain, unsweetened almond milk
- Replace the yogurt with an organic kefir
- Use spinach or collard greens instead of kale
- Add celery instead of cucumber
- Omit the Green+ supplement
Remember to chew your smoothie. Chewing activates your salivary glands, which begin the digestive process before the smoothie enters your stomach. Think of it this way: if you were eating the ingredients in this shake as a salad, you would need to chew every bite!
Check out the video I made detailing the benefits of my kale protein smoothie recipe:
Eat well to be well.